My Tips for Making Your 4th of July BBQ a Little Healthier
- Shrink your Plate! - A smaller space will leave less room to add tons of unnecessary calories to your plate. Studies have shown that people who use smaller plates tend to eat less. Try using a kid-size plate instead of the usual Hefty size!
- Load up on the healthy stuff first! - Start by filling your place with salad, veggies and fruit. The fiber and water content of these foods will help you feel fuller sooner. Including foods with some oil and protein will also help with satiety. Pick your treats wisely!
- Eat slowly and mindfully - By slowing down the pace at which you’re eating, and genuinely focusing on the food, you give your brain a chance to catch up to your stomach and realize it’s full. This is much easier to do when you’re socializing with guests, friends and family, because you can pause to chat.
- Skip the processed carbs - Things like crackers, bread and chips have a ton of unnecessary calories that cause insulin spikes and leave little in the way of filling fiber. Try to choose the cleaner options that are surely available such as fruit, salad, and meat.
- While you’re at it, skip the alcohol - While an occasional glass of wine or so is fine to incorporate in a healthy lifestyle, a giant margarita is not. Packing 600-800 calories and a ridiculous amount of sugar.. let’s just say there are far better options (ahem, H20 anyone?!)! If you’re going to splurge, have a beer or small glass of wine. Remember, drinking decreases self-control and can lead to overeating.
- Dessert - If you’re going to have dessert, try to keep the portion size small. Splitting with a friend is a great way to avoid over-indulging!
I hope you all have a fantastic 4th of July! =)